January 8, 2010

Children's Day on Twitter

Children's Day (วันเด็ก) is celebrated on the second Saturday of January each year in Thailand. In observance of Children's Day 2010, lots of Thai twitter users have changed their avatars to childhood photos.

Prominent figures like newspaperman Suthichai Yoon (@suthichai) and hip hop artist Joey Boy (@joeybangkokboy) have even joined in the fun. I smell a new tradition.

Here's a sampling of Bangkok tweeple in bygone days. One of them is me. See if you can guess who. :P





3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back (notice I didn't say "your back"), Rikker. I'm guessing that's you with the microphone. Possibly on Changkui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Nice guess. I'll try to keep blogging regularly again. I made that a New Year's resolution last year and kept it up for a while. I'm not giving it that status this year, but I'll try nonetheless. Don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday was not a typical day in my Isaan village. I was surprised at how clean the village looked, and asked why. My wife said the cleanliness is, as it were, a once-a-year spring cleaning not to be repeated until the next BOON KHAO JEE (BOON DUAN 3.) URL
    says it's an Isaan festival when Moon 3 waxes. Yesterday was Day 3 of waxing Moon 3, so I'm guessing the double 3 has some significance. The web site doesn't mention the spring cleaning, or the double 3, but otherwise explains that it is an Isaan, Cool Season Festival, when folks like to warm themselves by open fires, and toast sticky rice balls rolled in salt and egg until they're golden yellow. I've only "decoded" the first paragraph, which has some Isaan words NOT in my dictionary. The first is JEE (Toast) in the name of the festival (GHEE in Thai,) on down to the use of Yaw Ying in a word where it's pronounced the old-fashioned way, 'en-ya', like a Spanish N with a tilde on top.

    My wife laughed when I read the site's quotation out loud; I think it means, "It's Moon 3 and I wants Khao Jee. Put a little syrup on it or I'll cry!"

    ReplyDelete