December 19, 2007

On blogs and babies (or, how I learned to overcome my lack of sleep and get back to blogging)

Well, I let the blog go unattended a bit longer than I would've liked. Two weeks! I have a good reason, I promise. 6 pounds, 9 ounces of a good reason:

My wife delivered a baby girl on December 11, 2007 at 1:14 a.m. Her name is Leslie Tida Dockum (เลซลี่ ธิดา ดอกคำ), and she's healthy and hungry and enjoying life as a newborn. While this isn't typical subject matter for Thai 101, hey, I'm a proud first-time papa, so indulge me. My grandfather passed away at 92 three weeks before Leslie was born, and it turned out that after all our struggling to pick a name over the last nine months, his middle name (Leslie) was the one that finally clicked for both of us. And it wasn't even in the running before. Things are funny that way.

On to other news, yesterday saw the welcome return of Jason over at Thai Language Tricks, after a couple months. Welcome back, Jason. Whatever grand scheme he has in store (as intimated in his latest post), I look forward to finding out more about it. If you know of any freely distributable electronic resources for studying Thai, be sure to let him know.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! ลูกน่ารักจังเลย

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! She's adorable. My son Noah was born in September so what you are going through now is still fresh in my mind. Get ready to lose a lot of sleep! (but it's worth it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ยินดีด้วยครับ

    Two weeks is a long time to go without posting an entry. The nerve of some people! (Joking!)

    Thanks for the plug to my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the Dokums, all three of you! What a beautiful little girl; we wish you all the best.

    I understand that Thais had developed a bunch of birthing rituals over time. Are there any remnants of these in modern hospitals?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. We just put the baby down (it's midnight), so we should be up again at 3am... good times.

    Bui: The hospital we were at is particularly westernized, so the doctors and nurses actually advised against some of the traditional things, such as อยู่ไฟ. They also told us not to use baby powder, which Thais love to death. I'm not sure what all the traditions are. But we still hear things from acquaintances (and even strangers) everyday about what my wife can or can't eat while nursing. No guavas, no cold water, etc. People like to treat these things like life or death situations, but we just smile and nod... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah a pastime I enjoy in taxis is to follow the Thai lead and just make up complete nonsense and see if the driver buys it. Usually I talk about back home (Louisiana), where hurricane winds can reach 500 km/h. Or I talk about the great fire hurricane of '76 (where whole oil refineries got sucked up and ignited). A ball of flame a hundred miles across! Set Alabama back 20 years, it did.

    (Most drivers do not buy it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful baby girl. Congratulations! I don't know of anything better than being a parent or any better way to learn about love. Enjoy your sleepless nights they will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Janet. It's already a hugely eye-opening experience, and it's barely been two weeks. While we already can't imagine not having Leslie around, we still occasionally pine for the lost freedom of being just the two of us. The farther away that gets, the more we'll forget what it was ever even like. My wife is doing the full-time mom thing, so she's the one with the most jarring life changes. I've still got work to escape to every day. Fortunately, her family has been extremely helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jarring life changes - yes. Eye opening - yes...but heart opening as well. Soon your thoughts of sleepless nights will be replaced with favorite new memories as you watch your precious Leslie dream and see her face break into a adorable smile while she sleeps. You won't want to put her back in her bed but you will hold her and bask in the warmth of her little spirit. Before long you will wipe tears out of your eyes as you go home from taking her to her first day of school realizing that there are only a dozen precious years left before she is grown. You will love and cherish every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to mom and dad and happy birthday to Leslie. What a beautiful baby, wide-eyed, big cheeked! What a grand adventure you've just embarked on!

    ReplyDelete